The World Water Forum is organized by the World Water Council and a host country and is held every 3 years to discuss issues surrounding access to water and sanitation for all. Its objectives are to:
- Bring together all stakeholder to discuss water and sanitation-related issues;
- Formulate concrete solutions and encourage action;
- Build real and sustainable political commitment to water.
9th World Water Forum – Dakar (Senegal)
For this 9th edition of the Forum, the Steering Committee of the Butterfly Effect agreed on an action plan to operationalize the participation of the network in the 9th World Water Forum in Dakar:
The participation of the Butterfly Effect will have two main objectives, namely :
- Promoting the good participation of CSOs from the water sector in the Forum
- Making theb voice of CSOs heard, particularly at the Summit of Heads of State.
The Butterfly Effect will strive to ensure an active presence of the network members before, during, and after the Forum, through information and mobilization actions, the design and dissemination of advocacy messages, and the monitoring of the commitments made by the various stakeholders at the end of the Forum.
Discover the report of the Butterfly Effect at the 9th World Water Forum
8th World Water Forum - Brasilia (Brazil)
The perspectives of the BE network for the upcoming WWForum are to:
- Continue the work to strengthen the participation and inclusion of civil society, including governance bodies, and obtaining the necessary funding
- Building collective messages
- Monitoring of Forum commitments and process strengthening
Read our recommendations for the World Water Forum in 2018!
This 8th edition of the World Forum was marked by the strong participation of the members of the network in the works of the Forum. In total, members were represented in approximately 40 sessions, including panels, official sessions, side-events….
In addition, this forum was also marked by a clear stand taken by the members of the Butterfly Effect in favor of better inclusion of civil society organizations within the Forum, as reflected in this press release, published at the end of the Forum
Indeed, a lot of obstacles made this Forum difficult for many CSOs in the water sector to attend, and the Butterfly Effect was therefore keen to voice these concerns and call for greater inclusiveness.
The press release is available here: “Too many left behind: Failure of support mechanisms jeopardizes inclusiveness of the 8th World Water Forum”
7th World Water Forum - Daegu (Korea)
Through its activities and advocacy actions, the BE network directly facilitated the participation of around 150 civil society organizations in the 7th WWForum. Thanks to its influence, members of civil society were present in the organization commissions of all the processes (political, thematic, science/technology, and regional) and were also involved in organizing different sessions and panels.
6th World Water Forum - Marseille (France)
Since the 6th WWForum in Marseille, where the network was launched, the Butterfly Effect is recognized as an important coordinator of civil society participation in this event and during its preparation process.
Achievements of the Butterfly Effect during the 6th WWForum:
- Obtained a seat on the International Forum Committee, for a more inclusive Forum
- Obtained a budget to structure the movement BE
- Got Financial support from 210 southern civil society partners via sponsorship of the Forum, but also funding from other partners;
- Facilitated access to and access to the Forum for 300 other civil society actors from both North and South
- Built collective messages
- Participated in the preparatory processes of the Forum