The General Assembly is formed by all the members of the Butterfly Effect network. Its main roles are :
- To represent all the members of the Butterfly effect;
- To validate the candidatures for the Steering committee;
- To define the strategic orientations of the network;
- Adopt new institutional regulations proposals presented by the Steering Committee;
The members of the General Assembly have the right to benefit from the activities of the network. Any member that fulfills the requirements could be proposed to any of the governing bodies of the Butterfly Effect.
Become a Butterfly Effect member!
The Steering Committee is responsible to the GA for the implementation of the strategic orientations decided by the latter and for the organisation of relevant actions and initiatives.
The Committee, which represents the network at the political level, is composed of representatives elected from among the member organisations worldwide, who ensure the representation of the network at the regional level. Elections to the Steering Committee take place every three years. The committee meets at least once a year.
Members of current Steering Committee are :
- For Africa : Sena ALOUKA (ANEW) and Jea-Bosco BAZIE (Eau Vive)
- For Asia : Shamin Arfeen (AOSED) and Murali Ramisetty (FANSA)
- For Europe : Sandra Metayer (Coalition Eau) and Abdurasul Kayumov (BORDA)
- For Latin America : Vanessa DUBOIS (FANCA) and Nathalie SEGUIN (FANMex)
- For North America : Sarah DOUSSE (ISW-SWE)
- For the Global Organisation : Jean LAPEGUE (Action Against Hunger) and Lesha WITMER (Women for Water Partnership).
The day-to-day coordination and management of the Butterfly effect is provided by the Secretariat, implemented by the International Secretariat for Water (Canada - Montreal). The Secretariat ensures the general coordinations and facilitates the internal and external communication of the network.
One of the main tasks of the Secretariat is to inform and consult members. In order to ensure a stronger collective impact, the Secretariat works hand in hand with the members of the Steering Committee to develop the vision and strategies of the network using operational and measurable tools.
In order to ensure the implementation of the strategic orientations adopted by the General Assembly, and to develop the main themes addressed by the movement, the Secretariat sets up and leads working groups whose tasks include formulating messages to be conveyed on the themes and on the network's strategy.
The creation of a working group has to be validated by the Steering Committee after the evaluation of the proposal, according to the Butterfly Effect strategic plan and budget. A WG needs to be composed of at least one host member and at least 2 other members. The Secretariat facilitates and coordinates the work of the different Working Groups.
Currently the Butterfly Effect is made of the three following Working Groups :
- The Water and Climate Agenda
- The Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development
- The World Water Forum
To join one of the Working Groups, contact the Butterfly Effect Secretariat: firstname.lastname@example.org
Governance Document: Butterfly Effect Internal